Throughout the Foundation Stage, we work from the Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework which sets standards for the learning, development and care of children from birth to five years old.
These areas of learning include:
• Personal, Social and Emotional Development
• Physical Development
• Communication and Language
• Understanding the World
• Expressive Arts and Design.
All our learning at Holmesdale is designed to develop confident, independent children who make the most of their experiences and enjoy success. Your child will learn through a variety of structured and child-initiated experiences, both indoors and out. We encourage children to make choices and decisions for themselves, to concentrate,
listen, ask and answer questions and acquire information and skills in all areas of learning. One of the most important ways in which children in the foundation stage acquire new skills, knowledge and understanding is through play. Children learn through a variety of structured and free play activities and experiences that encourage the development of skills, such as:
• Language and literacy skills, e.g., the development of speaking and listening skills while playing in the home corner, shop or café, writing lists, reading the menu, or noting down a telephone message.
• Social skills, e.g. sharing and taking turns with toys or learning to interact or resolve disagreements during group play.
• Problem-solving skills alongside the development of mathematical and scientific vocabulary, e.g., during water play “how many cups will one jug of water fill?”
• Physical skills, co-ordination and dexterity, e.g., climbing and balancing, running, skipping, cutting, painting, modelling with dough, doing up buttons and zips, drawing and writing.
• Creative and imaginative skills, e.g., experimenting with colour, shape and texture using a variety of materials, building with bricks or constructional apparatus, role play, responding to music, making music and storytelling.
Outdoor play is important for the development of all these skills which is why we ask that children always come appropriately dressed, prepared for all weathers, every day
Please see our Nursery Overview below.